Sunday, March 10, 2013

Recipe: Rotten Bananas Smoothie



A fruit bowl full of overripe bananas is a bummer. They're at their sweetest and softest, but they're just too soft to be eaten as is. Duh! My mom usually cooks our semi-rotten bananas into some delicious banana bread or cake, but I like to incorporate some into homemade smoothies. Here's an express little smoothie recipe I improvised today. Let's turn overripe fruit into a sweet and healthy treat!


Note: when I say "rotten bananas", it's just for drama ;) Technically, they're not really rotten and my recipe won't make you sick. 

Let's get started already! For two servings of smoothie, you need...

1 peach
1 overripe banana (tip: for an icy twist, you can freeze it for a few hours)
About 1 cup of orange juice (would be delicious with apple juice, too!)

Optional: a few berries for colouring. I prefer red smoothies and I had some overripe leftover blueberries in the fridge, so I threw them into the mix.


Gratuitous close-up of overripe blueberries:



Carefully peel the banana, cut the peach into quarters and put all the ingredients into a blender. Blend well and enjoy your delicious banana-recycling smoothie :) What is your favourite way to cook overripe fruit?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, requests, questions?